No one wants a lipstick laden with toxic chemicals. Wondering whant to look for on the label? Here is a list of 12 of the worst offenders in personal care products.
1. BHA and BHT - used in moisturizers and makeup , these preservatives may cause cancer and are harmful to fish and other widlife.
2. Coal tar dyes - (p-phenylenediamine and colors listed as "Cl" followed by 5 digits) - used in hair dyes and cosmetics, these dyes are potencial carcinogens and can be contaminated with heavy metals.
3. DEA, cocamide DEA and lauramide DEA . Used in creamy and foaming products, like moisturizers and shampoos.DEAs have been linked to cancer.
4. Dibutyl phthalate Used as a plasticizer in some nail care products, this is a suspected endocrine disruptor and reprodutive toxin.
5. Formaldehyde. Releasing preservatives (DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea methenamine , quarternium-15 and sodium hydroxymethylglycinate)- Found in cosmetics, these are said to slowly release cancer-causing formaldehyde in small amounts.
6. Fragrance or Parfum . Artificial fragrences used in all kinds of cosmetics can trigger allergic reactions, asthma , and some are linked to cancer.
7. Paraben, methylparaben, butylparaben and propylparaben Used as preservatives, parabens are reported to interfere with male reproductive functions.